Thursday, October 27, 2011

Spicy Spinach and Crunchy Applesauce

These two recipes are so easy, I'm just going to combine them (plus I have the "end result" of both in one photo). Now, I know spinach isn't the most popular but give it a try this way...it changed mine and A's mind!! The applesauce smells so delicious!!! It definitely gives off every smell you think of when you think of Autumn...so warm and the cinnamon with the apples...YUM!!! I'm just going to get started before I abandon ship and make more for myself. :)


Spicy Spinach

Ingredients

  • 10 oz. baby spinach (I find per person is best)
  • red pepper flakes
  • sea salt
  • extra virgin olive oil
Directions: In a medium-high skillet, add about a Tablespoon of oil to pan. Add spinach followed by a dash of sea salt and red pepper flakes to taste (1/4- 1/2 tsp roughly). Cook until just past the point of wilting. Place on plate and pat dry with a couple napkins. 

Besides the oil, these are all the ingredients you need.
Here you can see the brand spinach I use. I usually buy 2...one for each of us.
I got the salt at a Fresh Market and peeled off the sticker.



Chunky Applesauce

Ingredients

  • 4 golden apples, chopped
  • 2 tsp. lemon juice
  • handful golden raisins (about 2 oz.)
  • 1in. piece fresh ginger root
  • 3 T. light brown sugar
  • 2 c. apple juice or cider
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp groung nutmeg
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a medium size pot over medium-high heat. Cook until a chunky sauce forms, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep at a low boil; if the sauce begins to boil, turn back heat just a little. Once apples are soft and sauce forms, remove from heat. Be sure to remove the ginger.

**I left the peel on for a crunchier taste but it can definitely be removed, if desired**

Here is the sauce, cooking. 


Here is the applesauce and spinach...with a side of pork chop!!
(Please don't judge my pork chops from this! They usually look better...I was
having thawing issues!)

[[Original post for applesauce can be found here. The spinach was found in Cooking Light and site will be linked in another post]]

0 comments:

TamTam's Cook Spot   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP