Thursday, November 25, 2010

Homemade Fajitas

So it goes without saying that A and I love mexican food. We both grew up with it being from Texas and myself being part Mexican. I dislike frozen fajitas very much but I cannot find a mercado (a mexican market) anywhere near where I live in VA so the local meat market in The Fresh Market had to do. :) This is a super fast, easy, budget friendly meal! The meat cost almost $12 but keep in mind, I went to a Whole Foods/Organic type grocery store; their prices are usually going to be a tad higher. Also, keep in mind this is a recipe for two people; adjust the meat quantity as needed.

*I did not follow any set recipe for this dish; this one was my own.*

**Remember to have your local butcher cut the meat in the necessary size for you. It's free and will save you time and clean up in the kitchen later!**

***Pictures are added at the end of the post***

Here you'll need:


  • 1 lb. skirt steak, cut into roughly 1/4" thick (you want them pretty thin)
  • 1 small package of pre-chopped onions
  • 1 small package of pre-chopped mixed peppers, red and green
  • 1 package tortillas 
  • condiments to your liking (guacamole, salsa, sour cream, cheese, etc.)
  • salt and pepper to taste 
  • I also used Fresh Market poultry blend spices which include: sea salt, coriander, garlic, whole cumin, basil, while black peppercorns, sage, mustard seeds, red chili flakes. (You don't necessarily need this, but its what I used so I'm going to add it here if you're interested.
  • 2-3 T olive oil
In a medium size skillet on medium-high heat, add olive oil and skirt steak. Allow to brown halfway and add salt and pepper (and additional spices if desired). Finish browning. Add onions and peppers to taste (we used roughly a quarter cup). Allow to cook a while longer and turn heat to low. Heat tortillas. Plate and serve. Add any condiments and enjoy! :) See, not difficult at all!!

How it looks when finished cooking! Yummy, huh? Wait till you taste it!!

[Here's a rough idea of how thick the skirt steak should be cut]

0 comments:

TamTam's Cook Spot   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP